SERVINGS: 4 PREP: 20 minutes COOK: 1 hour
This classic stew is the definition of cozy comfort food. And it’s made with apple cider vinegar, which boasts a variety of health benefits, such as boosting weight-loss abilities, helping to maintain healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promoting skin health, and more!
1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 tsp. of minced garlic
1 (10 oz.) smoked sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups of shredded green cabbage
½ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp. of ground caraway seeds
1 cup of dark beer, preferably a German Oktoberfest lager
2 cups of chicken broth
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. of chopped fresh parsley
- Pour the olive oil into a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add the sausage and sauté until lightly browned (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in the cabbage, pepper, and caraway seeds. Sauté until the cabbage is soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add the beer and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the chicken broth and potatoes. Return to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, and cook until the potatoes are tender and the liquid is reduced by a little over half (about 40 minutes). Stir in the vinegar.
- Serve hot, topped with the parsley.
Find this and hundreds more delicious cold-weather recipes—from super soups and scrumptious salads to hearty casseroles, mighty meats, bracing beverages, and delectable desserts—in our brand-new book, Vital Vinegar Cookbook “Cures”. And you can even try it out for FREE for a full 21 days with our Free Preview!