Did you know that in addition to being a key ingredient in many savory dishes, white vinegar is also delicious in desserts? It’s true—and not only does it taste great, it also can solve many common culinary conundrums that you may run into while whipping up your favorite sweet treats! With the holidays coming up and many homemade desserts on the horizon, here are six ways that white vinegar can help you:
- Tone down sweetness. Have you ever tried a new dessert recipe, only to have it turn out tasting like pure sugar? Well, next time, just add a teaspoon of vinegar to the recipe. It’ll reduce the sweetness without changing the overall flavor of the dish.
- Fluff up meringue. Beat in 1 teaspoon of vinegar for every three egg whites the next time you make meringue. It will be much fluffier and more stable to boot!
- Make flakier piecrust. Simply add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to any piecrust recipe. You’ll have the best pies in town, and everyone’ll be beggin’ for your secret!
- Bake moister cakes. One teaspoon of vinegar mixed into the other ingredients will improve the moistness and flavor of any cake—whether it’s made from scratch or a boxed mix.
- Make finer frosting. Mix in several drops of vinegar to your homemade icing as you beat it. It’ll turn out smooth, shiny, and creamy—with no sugaring. And to keep boiled icing from hardening, just stir in 1/3 teaspoon of vinegar as the frosting is cooking.
- Firm up Jell-O®. Add in 1 teaspoon of vinegar per box of gelatin. It’ll help the gelatin hold its shape even in hot weather. And it’ll even make the finished product easier to cut, too!
For even more vinegar solutions that’ll knock your socks off, check out our brand-new cookbook, Vital Vinegar Cookbook “Cures”! It’s full of hundreds of delicious, easy-to-make recipes, plus tips, tricks, and hints to make life in the heart of your home a breeze—whether you’re cooking up a storm or cleaning up afterwards. You can even try it out FREE for a full 21 days in your own home with our Free Preview!
Follow us on Facebook for more Jerry Baker secrets!