It’s time to turn your thoughts to the annual scrub-down of your home, otherwise known as spring cleaning. Here’s a room-by-room rundown of family-friendly DIY formulas to help you get the job done efficiently:
In the Kitchen:
If your cozy cabinets are looking a little too “lived in,” perk ’em up with this deodorizing Cupboard Cleanup Formula:
- Mix 1 cup of ammonia, 1 cup of white vinegar, ⅓ cup of baking soda, and 1 gallon of water in a bucket, then use a sturdy sponge to wash your cupboards — inside and out.
- Rinse your sponge with clear water between swipes, so the stuff in your bucket stays potent.
In the Bathroom:
You don’t need a different cleaner for every surface in your bathroom — all you need is this Easy All-Surface Cleaning Elixir:
- Combine 2 cups of rubbing alcohol, 1 tablespoon of ammonia, 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid, and 2 quarts of water in a handheld sprayer bottle, and go to town.
Family Room and Bedrooms:
It’s easy to forget that baseboards need to be spruced up along with everything else. Vacuum them with a hose attachment, then wipe them down with this Baseboard Bonanza:
- Measure a tablespoon of cornstarch into a handheld sprayer bottle, then carefully add 2 cups of boiling water and stir until the cornstarch has dissolved.
- Add ⅓ cup of white vinegar and stir.
- Now take aim and fire the spray on baseboards, wiping them clean with a soft cloth or damp sponge.
Perk up your carpet’s high-traffic zones with a batch of this Can-Do Carpet Shampoo (you may never buy a bottle of the brand-name stuff again):
- Mix ½ cup of powdered laundry detergent, 1 teaspoon of ammonia, and 4 cups of warm water in a bucket, stirring vigorously until you get a thick froth.
- Dampen a large sponge with the froth only, and rub the entire carpet lightly. You’ll have to stir the solution frequently to keep the froth from settling.
- When the carpet has been cleaned, let it dry, then vacuum accordingly.