It’s that time of year again—time to make the big switcheroo in your clothes closet. So pull your winter clothes out of storage and get ready to cut down on closet clutter by getting creative! Here’s a handful of clever-closet concepts:
- Keep your shirts from sliding off hangers by wrapping rubber bands around each end of the hanger. The rubber gives the shirt something to grip on to, so it’ll stay put.
- Cut a heavy-duty cardboard tube (from a roll of aluminum foil, wax paper, or plastic wrap) lengthwise, and pop it over the bottom of a wire hanger. Then fold your trousers over the tube to keep them fresh and crease-free.
- If you’re short on space in your closet, use this neat trick to make room: Purchase a piece of plastic chain from a hardware store. Hang it up by one end from a hanger in your closet, then hang another hanger from each chain link, all the way down the chain. The vertical storage conserves space and keeps your clothes flat and wrinkle-free.
- One of the simplest ways to increase the space in your closet is to clear out any garments that you seldom wear (formal clothes, for instance). Either move them to a spare closet, or tuck them into appropriate containers and stash them under your bed, in the attic, in a dry basement, or anyplace else you have room for them.
- Do you always wear a certain jacket and shirt with the same pants or skirt? If so, then combine all three garments on one sturdy hanger.
You’ll find more super secrets for keeping your closets organized in my Can the Clutter! book. You can even try it FREE for 21 days with our Free Preview! It’s filled with fantastic features that will help you dig in, dig out, and enjoy a clutter-free home.