A slice of fresh, juicy cantaloupe is a tasty summertime treat. Nothing beats an ice-cold wedge of it for instant refreshment after a long, hot run, walk, or your daily workout. But the sweet flesh of this melon is a lot more than just good eating—it’s surprisingly low in calories and high in health benefits. At just 48 fat-free calories per cup, and packed with beta-carotene, vitamins A and C, and potassium, it is one of nature’s best body-bolstering and cancer-battling foods around.
So how do you select the sweetest and juiciest of these mouthwatering melons? Here’s what to do:
- Look for an evenly shaped melon, without dents, bruises, cuts, or discoloration.
- Check out the color of the skin under the netting—it should be glowing golden.
- Look for a melon that’s smooth and well-rounded at the stem end. Unlike other ripe melons, which have a bit of vine attached, ripe cantaloupes are free of the stem attachment.
- Choose a melon that’s heavy for its size—the sign of juiciness.
- Give it the sniff test—it should smell sweet, fresh, and fragrantly musky.
for 21 days! And don’t forget to visit our website and sign up for our Free E-newsletter—you’ll get an exclusive special offer right off the bat!